Thursday, November 19, 2009

Dispelling Myths

I would like to begin this journey by directing you to a site that helped me to remove my biggest obstacle to homeschooling…my own doubts. It never fails. Time after time, I find myself among a group of parents and the conversation always turns to our kids. They ask how old Kylie is (she's 4) and the next question is always, "Will she be starting kindergarten next year?" I know it's a reasonable question, but I got tired of answering it because 9 times out of 10 the response was negative or politely condescending. Such a negative response can wear on a person and make them wonder if they are making the right decision. I had finally decided to just answer "yes, she will be starting kindergarten next year" while telling myself that technically this was true because I would begin with kindergarten level "curriculum". This still seemed like a half-truth at best.

Relentlessly, I continued to ask myself if I could really do this. Perhaps I was being too idealistic, or worse, maybe the public school system isn't really that bad after all. Maybe it's all in my head. Then I found this site during a Google search, and all of that negativity just faded away. It's amazing how much support you can get from people that you have never even met, just because they were kind enough to take the time to put into words a pep talk designed to rally disheartened souls. Thank you At Home in America, for helping me break through the negativity.

No comments:

Post a Comment